A Brief History of the Hall

The excerpt below is reproduced from the publication – “Lustleigh – A Dartmoor Village in focus”, with kind permission from The Lustleigh Society…

Since it first opened in 1911, the village hall has been the centre for many village activities. Initially known as the Constitutional Hall, and later the Conservative Hall, it was taken over in 1976 by the Parish Council and was completely rebuilt and extended in 2005; it is run by a dedicated committee of volunteers.

The village hall has been regularly used for meetings, classes, badminton, as well as plays, pantomimes and concerts. In the 1940s, it hosted a series of fancy dress balls and at one time there was an annual village children’s party at Christmas.

The British Legion held its annual dance there and it was also the venue for a smoking concert in 1942 for the local Home Guard and other local defence members.  Since the formation of the Home Guard, the hall has uniquely housed a rifle range and is home to the Lustleigh Home Guard Rifle Club, formed in 1944 originally to occupy local villagers as they came home from war.

Opening of the Original Hall 16th November 2011
Extract from the Declaration of Trust 13th September 2011